State’s Attorney: No evidence of conspiracy in death of Abe Dabela

Gugsa Debela.

Gugsa Debela.

The state’s attorney for the Danbury Judicial District said Friday there is “no evidence” the Redding Police Department was involved in any conspiracy during the investigation of Gugsa “Abe” Dabela’s death beginning in 2014.

“Although the investigation is not yet complete, it has revealed no evidence of any conspiracy on the part of the Redding Police Department,” State’s Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky III said in a press release. “The Redding Police Department has cooperated fully with the Office of the State’s Attorney and the State Police throughout this investigation, as well as cooperating with the forensic expert retained by the Dabela family in 2014.”

Sedensky’s statement comes one day after the family of Abe Dabela filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the Town of Redding, Police Chief Doug Fuchs, and seven Redding police officers. The suit alleges Redding police did not properly investigate the death of Dabela, who died of a gunshot wound after being involved in a car accident on Umpawaug Road in the early morning hours of April 5, 2014.

The first responders to the scene found Dabela dead with a single bullet hole in his head. There was a .40 caliber pistol in the car.

The medical examiner later ruled his death a suicide.

When contacted earlier this week, Police Chief Fuchs said he was barred from making statements on pending litigation. He has long maintained his department properly investigated Dabela’s death.

You can read more about the lawsuit, and the Connecticut NAACP’s comments on the case here.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Redding Pilot, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress